Blogging is a great way of keeping your visitors in touch with what you are doing on a regular basis, it’s also a very good way of increasing your search engine ranking as Google in particular likes new content – plus, you can advertise when you have published a new blog post/article on your social networks which is a great way to drive traffic to your site.
Aside from that very commercial approach, you may just enjoy writing, in which case, Skizzar is for you as we have a very powerful yet easy to use blogging platform.
There are 2 steps to creating a blog with Skizzar; 1) Write blog posts and 2) Add them to a page in your site (you may need to create a page first)
How to create blog posts
- Start off by logging in and navigating to your dashboard
- From the dashboard hover over Blog and click on Add New Post
- Give your post a name and some content – you can use the design bar at the top of the text editor to add images, links and text styling.
- On the right of the page you will see a list of Categories (You can add new categories by hovering over Blog and clicking on Categories) add your blog to a category, note that blog posts will default to the uncategorized category
- You can add tags to your blog post
- The featured image is the main image for your blog, we recommend a minimum width of 1000px for your featured image.
- Once you have written your post – click publish (You can also save your post as a draft if you want to finish it off later or publish it at a later date)
Adding posts to your site
- Once you have created blog posts, you will now need to add them to a page in your site – if you don’t already have a page go to Pages > Add New Page from the dashboard and select a blank template. Give your page a name (e.g. Blog or News) and click on Proceed to customizer
- Now you’re in the customizer, click on Edit Layout > *Page Name* Body > Add Widget and select the Posts widget
- This widget will add your latest posts to your page – now you can edit the layout settings for this widget to change how the posts are displayed. From the widget settings you can edit the number of columns, how the columns are displayed, how each post is displayed (Top tip: try the “overlay”setting – it’s one of our favourites!), and you can also edit the information that is displayed (i.e. Author, date, categories, excerpt etc)
Now, whenever you add a new post it will show in this list of posts you have just added. Don’t forget to hit save before you close out of the customizer.
Once you’ve finished building your first page with Skizzar, you’ll probably want to add another one!
There are several ways to add a new page to your site:
- From the customizer, hover over the Skizzar icon in the top left and click on Add New Page
- From the dashboard hover over Pages and click on Add New Page
- From the dashboard there is also a quick link button next to the visitor stats graph labelled Create a new page
You can choose from several template presets, or at the very bottom choose blank. Give your page a name and click on Proceed to customizer.
To see a list of your site’s pages, from the dashboard hover over Pages and click on Your Pages. You can click on each of your pages and edit the title, export/import the page layout and make a duplicate of the page (a useful feature if all your pages have similar widgets on them).
The content widget makes use of columns to add content to your site. The appearance of each column can be edited to make it look how you want it to. Each column can also have a featured image – this is an image that can sit above or to the side of your column, like this:
Skizzar allows you to change the size of your featured image and the image ratio – for example, you can make your images square, circular (Note: the original image must be square for circle ratio to work), landscape and portrait.
Top tip: You should aim for your featured images to be a minimum of 1000px wide to allow for image ratios to work effectively
Adding a striking image to the top of your site is a great way to catch a visitors attention. In this video we look at how to add a slider to the top of your site – this video will also show you the basic concepts of creating page layouts with Skizzar using widgets.
To add a slider to your site,
- When logged in, go to your site and click on customize in the admin bar at the top of your site
- When viewing your site in the customizer, navigate to Edit Layout > *page name* Body and click on Add Widget
- From the list of available widgets, select Slider
- You have now added a slider to your page! You can edit the heading, excertp text and button for each slide. If you only have one slide, then it will show as a single image, however, if you have more than one slide then when you hover over your slider you will see arrows that select each slide.
- Using the design bar for each slide, you can change the background colour, image and style, change the text location and appearance, add a featured image and change button styles.
- On the right hand design bar for the whole slide you can change slider settings (including arrow/dot appearance, slider timing, height and effects)
Don’t forget to hit publish before you close the customizer.
In this video, we look at how to login to your Skizzar account and navigate to the dashboard.
The dashboard is the “begins the scenes” of your website and allows you to create pages, blog posts, change your profile settings, view visitor stats, map in your domain names and much more.
You will need to be logged in to make changes to your website, so make sure you know how to do it.
Login now at http://skizzar.com and click on the Login button.